Return to Afghanistan
VluchtelingenWerk does not consider the conditions for return to Afghanistan to be safe enough. It is important to us that you can build a safe and sustainable future after your return. That is why we do not provide this assistance for Afghanistan. We would be happy to discuss the reasons or problems that are causing you to consider returning to Afghanistan. Do you still want to look for an organization that can help you return to Afghanistan? Then we can put you in touch with such an organization.
The Dutch government has money for people who return independently. Various organisations can apply for this money for you. It is paid out partly in the form of goods and services (in kind). At some organisations, for example, you can take a short training course to learn a certain trade, and at other organisations you can receive assistance in working out a future plan and at others obtain tools for your own business. The financial value of the support in goods or services is the same at each organisation. You can only apply to one organisation at a time. The government monitors this.
In addition to this assistance, there is support under the REAN scheme (Return and Emigration Assistance from the Netherlands). IOM is the organisation that implements this scheme on commission from the government. Under REAN you can obtain counselling, a plane ticket, assistance in obtaining travel documents and an allowance for the initial needs. IOM also provides assistance with the actual return voyage. You must however meet several conditions.
What contributions are there?
The contributions for returning to Afghanistan are:
- € 1800 for an adult, of which no more than € 300 in cash.
- € 2800 for a child travelling along or an unaccompanied minor, of which no more than € 300 in cash.
For example: a family of 2 adults and one minor child will receive € 1800 + € 1800 + € 2800 = € 6400. Of this total amount no more than € 900 will be paid in cash.
In addition, under the REAN scheme you can for example obtain an airline ticket and additional cash (€ 200 for an adult, € 40 for a child travelling along).
Which organisations assist with return?
- VluchtelingenWerk does not provide return assistance to Afghanistan. We would be happy to discuss the reasons or problems that are causing you to consider returning to Afghanistan. We can put you in touch with another organization.
- IOM , Internationale Organisation for Migration, can help you to resume your life at home again after you return. Via IOM, after your return for example you can invest in housing, training or a business. You will not receive cash for this, but you will spend the in-kind scheme in cooperation with the IOM office in your country of origin.
- WereldTools 2018 – 2021 supports participants in starting their own business. People who participate in the WereldTools (WorldTools) project receive a crate of materials, tools and machines in order to return to work as soon as possible after returning to their country of origin. The local IOM office takes receipt of the crate for you at customs.
- Solid Road offers various short training courses enabling people to learn a certain trade. With the knowledge you gain during the training course, you can start a business in your country of origin. In addition to the training courses to learn a trade, you also receive business training and you receive a certificate after the end. There is also money to spend on goods that help you to reintegrate.
- Stichting ROS has projects including Vice Versa 5.0. With this project you can receive support if you return voluntarily to your country of origin, aimed at your personal situation. Together with a return coach from your own country, you prepare for your return, you make a future plan together and see how you want to spend the return funds. You can undergo training or take a course so that you can start working after you return. After you return you will be assisted by a partner in your country of origin.
- Goedwerk Foundation offers solutions for return aimed at your own personal situation, because this is different for everyone. Through good preparation in the Netherlands and aftercare in your country of origin, Goedwerk aims to ensure that your return goes well. The staff members make a future plan together with you and see what you would like to use the return funds for.
Which cooperation partners are there in your country of origin?
VluchtelingenWerk works together with partner organisations in different countries that can give you information on the situation your country of origin and can support and assist you when you return. VluchtelingenWerk does not consider the circumstances safe for return to Afghanistan. We therefore do not have a cooperation partner in Afghanistan to assist you.
Other organisations often do have a partner in Afghanistan that could assist you on your return. For more information, please contact these organisations or ask your counsellor from VluchtelingenWerk about this.