Return to Somalia
VluchtelingenWerk does not always consider the conditions for return to Somalia to be safe enough. It is important to us that you can build a safe and sustainable future after your return. We would be happy to discuss the reasons or problems that are causing you to consider returning to Somalia. Do you still want to look for an organization that can help you return to Somalia? Then we can connect you with such an organization.
The Dutch government has money for people who return independently. Various organisations can apply for this money for you. It is paid out partly in the form of goods and services (in kind). At some organisations, for example, you can take a short training course to learn a certain trade, and at other organisations you can receive assistance in working out a future plan and at others obtain tools for your own business. The financial value of the support in goods or services is the same at each organisation. You can only apply to one organisation at a time. The government monitors this.
In addition to this assistance, there is support under the REAN scheme (Return and Emigration Assistance from the Netherlands). IOM (International Organization for Migration) is the organisation that implements this scheme on commission from the government. Under REAN you can obtain counselling, a plane ticket, assistance in obtaining travel documents and an allowance for the initial needs. IOM also provides assistance with the actual return voyage. You must however meet several conditions.
What contributions are there?
The contributions for return to Somalia are:
- €1800 for an adult, of which no more than €300 in cash.
- €2800 for a child travelling along or an unaccompanied minor, of which no more than €300 in cash.
For example: a family of 2 adults and one minor child will receive €1800 + €1800 + €2800 = €6400. Of this total amount no more than €900 will be paid in cash.
Which organizations assist with return?
- VluchtelingenWerk does not provide return assistance to Somalia. We would be happy to discuss the reasons or problems that are causing you to consider returning to Somalia. We can put you in touch with another organization.
- Goedwerk Foundation offers solutions for return aimed at your personal situation. The team of Goedwerk Foundation consists experts, social workers and trainers who speak English, French, Spanish, Arabic, Amharic, Tigrinya, Farsi, Pashtu and Dari. Together with you they carefully prepare your return and offer support in, for example, obtaining documents, an embassy visit, medical assistance, contact with family members and making a future plan to invest the funds. In addition, they can offer guidance on the flight if necessary. Goedwerk Foundation uses partner organizations (via the network of the Dutch Council for Refugees) in various countries of origin and also has its own network of returnees in various countries.
- IOM , Internationale Organisation for Migration, can help you to resume your life at home again after you return. Via IOM, after your return for example you can invest in housing, training or a business. You will not receive cash for this, but you will spend the in-kind scheme in cooperation with the IOM office in your country of origin.
- Stichting WereldWijd supports participants in starting their own business. People who participate in the WereldTools (WorldTools) project receive a crate of materials, tools and machines in order to return to work as soon as possible after returning to their country of origin. WereldWijd and IOM work together to arrange this.
- Solid Road offers support through personal coaching and guidance in the Netherlands and, together with you, makes a plan for spending your funds. Solid Road also offers guidance at Schiphol on the day of departure and in the country of origin, by partner organizations that help you build a new life. You can also follow training in the Netherlands (free of charge) so you can learn a trade in order to provide for yourself after your return. Solid Road has employees who speak Arabic, Kurdish, English, French, Dutch and German.
- Stichting ROS has projects including Vice Versa 5.0. With this project you can receive support if you return voluntarily to your country of origin, aimed at your personal situation. Together with a return coach from your own country, you prepare for your return, you make a future plan together and see how you want to spend the return funds. You can undergo training or take a course so that you can start working after you return.
Which cooperation partners can help you in your country of origin?
- VluchtelingenWerk works in various countries with partner organizations that can provide you with information about the situation in your country of origin and can support and guide you when you return. VluchtelingenWerk does not have a cooperation partner in Somalia to guide you.
- IOM also has an office in Somalia and the reintegration support there is handled by the local office.
- Other organizations sometimes have a partner in Somalia who could assist you (at distance) with your return. For more information, please contact this organization or ask your counselor VluchtelingenWerk.